Monday, February 16, 2009

#35: Finish decorating the living room (wherein the author 'branches out')

Okay, so I've always loved learning about decor, architecture, interior design, etc. Except, my ability to actually apply this love to my own apartment has always been lacking. I have serious trouble actually translating the creative ideas I have in my mind into an actual decor scheme.

But since we have quickly fallen in love with our new Boston apartment, it seemed only appropriate that I try to finally apply myself to bringing my ideas to fruition. The apartment is just lovely; we've often remarked that even without a lot of furniture, and at times very little actual lighting, this apartment has felt more like home than our apartment in Ottawa ever did. The Ottawa apartment always seemed great on paper, but was never cozy or homey the way this place feels. We're lucky to have a south-facing position and a wall of beautiful windows running along one entire wall of the apartment, from the living room through the kitchen and bathroom to the bedroom. All the rooms have beautiful original hardwood and original plaster moulding, and the entire effect is one of an airy, light, slightly-deco cloud.

My recent decor obsession has been focused towards mid-century modern basics updated with some Edwardian architectural touches. I have a very clear idea of how I can combine these two seemingly disparate styles in this apartment, inspired by many hours skulking on Apartment Therapy. For a specific idea of what I'm going for, see here and here.

Here's a sampling of where I'm drawing my inspiration from:





In the spirit of trying to slowly gather pieces that will fit into this style, I convinced Nate to come with me on a hunt through some local used furniture stores. After suffering through a few disgustingly-odoured glorified junk yards, we stumbled across "Cheap Chic" on Harvard Ave. I think we will be spending many a Sunday afternoon here in the future, as both Nate and I got lost in the treasure trove of amazing antiques, old-school electronics and funky furniture. And we certainly did not leave empty-handed on this first visit, as I managed to convince Nate to let us add these two glorious new additions to our family:




















They obviously need some cleaning up and some new shades, but I'm very excited to begin planning the living room around these two works of art (which were only $10 each!). I'm thinking a plain, oval drum shade for the wood and tin lamp (something like this) and a graphic drum shade for the brass candlestick (maybe like this but in a different colour).

I've already picked out a few new pieces of furniture for the far-off day when we actually have money again:







I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment